1. Take your Windows XP CD and place it in the CD-ROM drive; ensure the unit is set in the BIOS to boot from CD. Check your manual for more information on this.
2. Watch for the message 'Press any key to boot from cd' and do so when seen.
3. The next screen will indicate that Windows Setup is inspecting your system and loading files for setup.
4. When the Welcome to Setup screen appears, press ENTER.
5. Agree to the Licensing Agreement by pressing F8.
6. The next screen will read 'If one of the following Windows XP installations is damaged, Setup can try to repair it.' Select your installation and press R to begin the Repair process.
7. The Repair process will check your hard drive and start copying files; be patient during this process.
8. Shortly after copying files the system will need to be rebooted. This will happen automatically.
9. Press SHIFT + F10 when you see the 'Installing devices' dialouge; a command console will appear.
10. Type NUSRMGR.CPL and press Enter. You should now have access to your User Accounts.
12. Pick the account you need to fix and change or remove the current password. If you wish to log on without entering a password, type control userpasswords2. Next choose to log on without being asked for your password. After making these changes close all windows, exit the command console and continue on with the Repair process. Be sure you have your Product ID number available.
13. When the repair process completes, you can log on with your new password (or without).
More information on this subject can be found at the following links -