This article details the steps to completing a fresh Windows 7 installation. Please run the attached Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor to determine if the Cybernet model will support Windows 7. Be sure the following tasks are already completed prior to beginning -
- Back up all critical data; the most common forms of crucial data include e-mail messages, address books, the My Documents folder, any files saved to the desktop, bookmarks/favorites, and anything else deemed important.
- Make sure any external devices (printer, scanner, etc.) are unplugged. The obvious devices that should remain plugged in include the monitor, keyboard, and mouse.
When eady to begin, refer to the following steps. This information details the process of partitioning the hard drive, installing the Operating System (OS), and configuring Windows 7. This process may take 30-90 minutes. The system will restart automatically several times during this process; the PC should otherwise not be turned off or restarted.
- Set up the PC to boot from CD; the setting will be located in the unit's BIOS menu. For instructions on how to complete this step, please refer to the model-specific manual. Product manuals can be downloaded from our website.
- Insert the Windows 7 CD.
- When prompted, press any key to continue.
- After Windows 7 Setup begins, confirm that the settings for Language, Time, Currency and Keyboard Method are accurate, then click Next.
- On the Windows 7 Installation page, click Install Now.
- Review the terms and click I accept the license terms to proceed.
- Once the Which type of installation do you want? window appears, choose Custom (advanced).
- When the Where do you want to install Windows option appears, select the largest Primary Partition and choose Next to continue. If the Primary partition has not been created and/or there are 0GB free, there should be an option for Unallocated Space. Highlight Unallocated Space and choose Next.
- The next few screens offer customized options for Windows 7; please set these as preferred.
- When the Product Key window appears, enter the product identification code located on the Windows License sticker. Click Next to continue.
- Once the desktop appears, Windows 7 will be installed. Now install the unit's drivers in the following order, being sure to reboot between each step. Windows 7 drivers can be downloaded from our website.
a. Chipset drivers
b. Video drivers
c. Audio drivers
d. LAN drivers
e. Additional accessories (printer, scanner, etc.)
Once completed, run Windows Update to apply the latest security fixes.